Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Monarchy

I have to say, probably due to my upbringing as an American, I don't cotton easily to the idea of living in a monarchy. Living in Hawaii, there's a movement to throw off the invaders (USA) and return to the good ol' days of Hawaiian monarchy. Besides all the other issues why this seems silly to me (federal money, for instance), I don't understand why people want to go back to swearing fealty to some human who may or may not be a nice person, but whose position relies on their great-great-great-great-great-great granddaddy being a bigger murdering backstabbing bastard than yours.

Recently, the media tried to bombard our eyeballs with the fact Chelsea Clinton got married and made allusions to American royalty and so on. I avoided most of the articles because I find this fact rather uninteresting. People get married all the time. Why is it worthy of national news just because some ex-president's daughter decides to tie the knot? For that matter, who cares if Angelina Jolie is adopting/spawning another baby? Why is it that everyone besides me seems obsessed with the lives of people they'll never have a coffee with? My interest in actors tends to end with their acting ability and/or the list of movies they've been in; otherwise, I don't really see it as important that they take three sugars and a dash of mustard with their latte every morning.

So I'm not a huge fan of blood determining your position. Maybe it's because I'm not (as far as I know) related to any "royalty" of any country and don't have bragging rights about being the 12,788,222nd person in line to the throne of England. But I've got the admit that the current American system of electing the person who can lie the best in election season isn't panning out so great either. At least we've got a system built in that insures that they have a limited reign in office; instead of regicides we have election years, and so far (with one exception) we haven't had to resort to a civil war or anything. Of course, when it turns out that it's impossible to get a non-liar into office this way we'll have to think of something else.

Any suggestions?

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment